Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm Scarred for Life


Literally!

*sniff* *sniff*

OK, I'm 47 and I expect to have wrinkles and sagging skin and all that but I didn't expect to have this! *sniff*

So, what happened? Would you believe me if I told you that I got into an argument at Westminster over the authorship of Hebrews and it turned into a brawl? Well, it wasn't that exciting, it was pretty much your normal everyday klutzy accident. It did happen in my General Epistles and Revelation class but it involved a power cord for a laptop and my natural inclination not to look where I'm going.

I had just finished talking to the professor and turned to rush to the bathroom before class started again, tripped over the power cord, landed on my knees and hit my face on a desk. I thought I broke my nose and I started crying, "My nose, my nose, I think I broke my nose." I'm sitting there with blood spewing out of the gush in my forehead, holding my nose in case it's broken. I'm sure it was not my best moment.

One of the seminarians (who was a blessing from the Lord) who had worked with the sports program of a high school immediately came to my aid and stopped the bleeding and took me to the hospital where I was eventually given seven stitches. When I finally got to see myself in the mirror I cried (one thing in my favor, I didn't even think of scarring until everyone started bringing it up). I looked like Frankenstein's monster.

I keep telling myself that I should be thankful that I didn't break my nose (and believe me I am -- I thanked the Lord that he did let me break it :-) but it only helps a little. Mostly I'm bummed that I have to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas looking like I was in the middle of a knife fight.

6 Comments:

  1. Leza said...
    Hey, Michele, I really feel for you! But, you can wear it as a Red Badge of Courage (or Klutz!). It'll be something you can share with the grandkids if the Lord leaves us here, that long!

    I share my scars, many from silly, klutzy mishaps, with my kids, now. Some have healed so well that the kids can hardly see them which surprisingly sometimes disappoints me! It gives you something to share with others who may need to see that you are human as they are, you know?

    Just don't be too self consious of it, and be thankful you were out in public so no one can accuse you of being abused! :-) An older friend of mine had fallen down her front stirs that are made of cement, and she had some awful bruises. She was really afraid to go to the docs because she was afraid they'd accuse her hubby (who was @ work at Bible Truth Publishers) of abuse! --You get more of that kind of paranoia when you live near a big city like NYC, Chicago, or LA.

    Heal well, and enjoy the holidays!!! :-)
    michele said...
    Thank you, leza for the encouragement. It is hard to wear it as a badge of courage (and even klutz) though I try. Mostly I'm depressed about it even though I don't want to be. I'm really struggling not to let it get to me.
    Leza said...
    {{{I'll pray for you, Michele.}}}
    {{{Gentle cyber hugs to you.}}}
    michele said...
    Thanks, I appreciate the cyber hugs and the prayers.
    Moonshadow said...
    Sounds like you're takin' it pretty hard.

    Practice some patience towards yourself - I don't say complacency - as the Lord Himself is patient with you. Χαρις και ειρηνη

    Luke 13:6-9; James 5:7-11
    Anonymous said...
    just a random visitor who is in a similar situation. I have a similar sized scar that i recently acquired on my forehead. its really not fun, i know, and i think people underestimate how much it can get to you if you let it.

    the way i deal with it is i dont look in mirrors and dont take photos for now, than get a plastic surgeon to make it look as clean/small/colorless as they can and hang in there. better days are still ahead and know your not the only one!

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007