Thursday, January 04, 2007

Chunkster Challenge 2007

So, I was visiting Kevin Stilley's blog when I noticed his post on participating in the Chunkster Challenge sponsored by Bookfool (who is very nice and quick to add you to the list even if you are a little late to the challenge) at Bookfoolery and Babble and decided that it sounded like fun. You read as many very large books (over 400 pages) that you can in a six month period.

Here is my list of books:

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren
New Testament History by F. F. Bruce
Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos (I've read sections of this book but never read it straight through and it's a couple pages shy of 400 but I defy anyone to say it is not a chunkster! It certainly fits in the "Whoa! That's freakin' intimidating!" category)
The Bible as it was by James L. Kugel
The Story of English by Robert McCrum, Robert MacNeil and William Cran
The Christ of the Prophets by O. Palmer Robertson
And I might add Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder to the list if I can find where I put it :-)

I think I might read them in this order, we'll see :-) I've been meaning to read them and this will be the incentive to do so.

Updated: I've been meaning to add Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo to the list.

13 Comments:

  1. Kevin Stilley said...
    I have been meaning to read Robertson's book for awhile. Maybe if you post a review of the book that will give me the incentive I need to take it out of the shrink wrap.
    michele said...
    Are you trying to give me incentive to read the book? I've had it for a while and haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. It will make a good follow up to the OT class I just completed.
    Carrie said...
    I'm impressed.

    I have had trouble getting through books half that size lately. I seem to have a few going at once.

    I've been thinking of you lately. I recently finished "Easy Chairs, Hard Words" and as soon as I finish another book I will read "What is Reformed Theology?". Next I have "The Holiness of God".

    Not quite Reformed yet, but mulling it over.

    It all started with your recommendation of "Chosen by God".

    :)
    Karmyn R said...
    I wish I had time to read books that big!! As it is, I barely have time to read blogs. heheheh

    It's been a while since I came here - your header looks nice. (but I miss the bright cheerful ocean view)
    michele said...
    Yeah, it really takes effort to make the time. We'll see how I do.

    And thanks about the graphic, I thought it was nice to have a change and to winterize the place :-)
    michele said...
    Carrie, only be impressed when I finish them :-) I've had trouble concentrating as well.

    I think I've mentioned it before but you really should read "Putting Amazing Back in Grace" by Michael Horton, it is the best introduction to Reformed theology that I've read.
    Erin said...
    I read your profile after I applied for the blogging chicks blogroll BUT I wanted to say that I am studying religion right now too (M.Div) and it's not every day that I see another blogger-girl who is studying religion! Cheers!
    michele said...
    Thanks! There are a couple of us on the blogroll :-)
    Moonshadow said...
    Erin reads Chittister ... *gasp* :-)
    Robin said...
    I'm sitting here thinking, how in the WORLD are you going to do this and do school...and family...and blog...and ??? lol Are many of those books for school?

    When I first say the words "Chunkster Challenge", I thought it might have something to do with recycling, which I'm kinda into these days (having never been very earth friendly in the past).

    Happy New Year Michele!
    Moonshadow said...
    are you going to do this and do school...and family...and blog...and ???

    ... and your Bible study ...

    Am I waiting on questions? I think I'm waiting on questions, bitte schön.
    Bookfool said...
    Oh, wow, thanks for the smile. I like being called nice. LOL

    What a totally cool plan, to study the Bible and then write Bible studies!

    I've got Labyrinth - don't know when I'll get to that one but drop me a line when you read it so I can read your thoughts?
    michele said...
    I did finish it, I'll have to email you and let you know how it was.

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007