Monday, November 27, 2006

How many people in America have your name

This is a interesting time waster but it's fun:

There are 299,968,595 people in the United States of America. If everyone in the U.S. lined up single file, the line would stretch around the Earth almost 7 times. That's a lot of people.

The U.S. Census Bureau statistics tell us that there are at least 88,799 different last names and 5,163 different first names in common use in the United States. Some names are more common than others.
HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
5
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?

I was surprised that my name isn't more common.

7 Comments:

  1. Pamela said...
    480
    James D. said...
    Hm, should I be worried that it tells me there are zero people in this country with my name?
    Moonshadow said...
    "... the data is old. The data for this program comes from the U.S. Census Bureau's 1990 census. That makes the data about 16 years old or so."

    Accuracy of HowManyofMe.com


    When I search on my maiden name, I get one hit.

    I assume that hit is me because the data precedes my wedding day by three years. I remember happily filling out a '90 census!

    Likewise, my siblings and mother come up once.

    My deceased father - deceased in '89 - comes up four times!

    But, heck, Dad's name is still in the telephone directory.

    there are zero people in this country with my name?

    james d., did your parents put you on the '90 census?
    michele said...
    OK, that would explain why Ang came up zero.
    Local Girl said...
    I tried that and it said that there are zero people with my name. I guess I don't exist :-(
    Kathie5255 said...
    I not only went searching for ladies with my name (spelled like mine) years ago, but created an email group of us. I found a lot but few wanted to participate.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kathies/
    michele said...
    That's pretty cool and fun. Any common bond besides the name?

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007