Saturday, August 05, 2006

What I love about blogging....

I had a hard time thinking about what I would write for this Carnival, everything I thought of was obvious. Getting to know people from around the world and across America, having a place to vent, being able to give my opinion in a public forum, and being able to work on my writing skills, was something that everyone probably could say. Why bother writing about it? And I've already blogged about wanting to share what I learned in seminary, so why bore everyone with repeating myself.

But then it hit me, why not write about the aspect of blogging that has been a surprising source of enjoyment: the technical end of blogging. On the one hand this shouldn't have been a surprise, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and I've spent many years working with mark up languages. But on the other hand this surprised me because I thought it was a closed door in my life, one that I thought I had firmly shut after I decided to be a full time stay-at-home and focus on studying the Bible.

But something happened when I entered the blogging environment and I found that I wasn't happy with the Blogger templates, everyone had the same one and I didn't like clicking on a link and seeing a blog that looked just like my blog but wasn't. It was disconcerting. So, I started to tweak things here and there and I found that I really liked it. I liked changing the design of my blogs.

Then I found free templates on the Internet here, here and here (and I just found another one here). And I changed the templates for three of my blogs and I found each time I did it, I was faster and did a better job modifying the templates to meet my needs.

I also have enjoyed (you will be surprised by this I'm sure) trouble-shooting problems with the installation of the Blogging Chicks blogroll. It is fascinating (to me :-) why the script will work on one template but won't work on the same exact template on another blog. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that takes analyzing. You try this and that and you finally figure out why it didn't work.

And I have enjoyed making my blog more functional by adding pieces missing from Blogger such as categories. I was able to create categories using del.icio.us tags to create the cloud in my side bar. I have found this to be very helpful when I'm trying to locate an article. Del.icio.us has made the process very easy to do and I plan to write a post on how to do it.

Which leads me to the final reason I love the technical side of blogging, so many people have no idea what they are doing when it comes to the technical side of blogging and it makes me happy that I'm in a position to help. To give them the information so that they can create a hyperlink or add a graphic to a post or side bar or to help them install their blogroll code. Or help them find a new template so that their blog will load faster. That part has been very rewarding, especially when I go to their blog and see the fruit of our effort.

23 Comments:

  1. The Flip Flop Mamma! said...
    Wow. I never would have thought to go that angle. I'm glad you love the technical side...I may need you in the future, since I'm pretty clueless. As you know since you had to teach me how to delete unwanted comments! Thanks again for that!
    Pamela said...
    I would like to learn more of the technical side, but there are only so many hours in the day. And I'm on the downhill side of brain cells. You know where you start losing them along with your glasses.

    Again. Thanks for helping me with my new blog template. Now can you help me find my glasses?
    Happy0303 said...
    I've always wanted to learn more about designing templates. Where do you find the time?
    michele said...
    I stay up late, I have older daughters so that need a lot of time and I'm not much of a housekeeper.
    Anna Venger said...
    Totally agreed with your first paragraph. And your right; that's what most of us wrote. But I am such a techo-weenie! I don't get the rest of your post. It's been a steep learning curve for me, to be sure, but it's been worth it to be stretched so. Thanks for all the work you do for Blogging Chicks and in sharing your thoughts.
    Jennifer said...
    Actually, I've been a bit surprised at this, too, although I'm no coding genius. But I was adding a graphic someone had given me to a post, and it looked weird. Well, it was missing two end tags, and it was no trouble at all for me to spot it!
    Carrie said...
    No, don't post more free templates. The temptation is too much. I enjoy the technical side also although I don't have your background.

    The Delicious tag thing is interesting but to be honest I thought it was just an image, I didn't realize there were links. Is the cloud formation the only option?

    I am always tempted tp switch to Wordpress. The functionality seems better.

    Not much of a housekeeper? I hear you!
    michele said...
    Do not switch to wordpress whatever you do if you are going to use the free service. You can't use javascripts which means you can't easily post blogrolls. There's a workaround but it's messy and you cant use the scroll bar or the pull down menus.
    T said...
    Loved this post!!! I need a "Blogging For Dummies" book so I just need to know what to copy and paste. I have my PH.D in copying and pasting and linking, but I can't get out of remedial school of putting in boxes and RSS. If anyone does a carnival on blogging techniques - I'm there!
    eph2810 said...
    I like the 'techie' side too and I am always happy to help if someone has question and actually can help out. Although I am not as good as some of blogging buddies, I do get things resolved, eventually :).
    Robin said...
    PENSIEVE LOVES MICHELE :)! I'm very thankful for your blog prowess, you've helped ME learn, even if it's just in bits and pieces :). Ah, a whetted appetite, lol. Thanks for sharing the knowledge you work so hard to come by!
    Lindsey said...
    I love the tech side of blogging too! That's what I blogged about for the carnival! Yay being geeky!
    CyberCelt said...
    I agree. As an old hand at HTML, I am still befuddled by CSS. I was so glad to find free templates that I could easily modify to suit my blogs.

    I was looking at the tag categories just yesterday on Dynamic Drive, I think. My problem is that I am not consistent with my tags.

    God bless your Sunday.
    Karmyn R said...
    You are "THE WOMAN" when it comes to getting help with templates! I'm glad you like it. I don't mind messing with my template - as long as it is an easy fix for me to find - otherwise I'm on "this side" of frustrated.
    Moonshadow said...
    An apt angle.

    I've spent many years working with mark up languages.

    SGML?

    It's like riding a bike.

    Had I gotten further with troff, I'd have an easier time.

    I'm too young (*blush*): PCs with wordprocessing s/w made macros embedded in plain UNIX text files obsolete.

    What's old is new again.
    michele said...
    It was SGML and we used it for content tagging so all of this is very familar.
    Moonshadow said...
    Did you work at .... the Fort?
    michele said...
    I worked for one of the many defense contractors (in fact I worked for two of them) that supported the Fort.
    Moonshadow said...
    It's all making sense to me now.

    OK, THIS is what I love about blogging ... getting a fuller picture of people from the bits and pieces that come out over time.
    michele said...
    What makes sense now?

    Yeah, I like that about reading blogs as well.
    owlhaven said...
    I also have enjoyed some of the techy stuff...

    Mary
    Moonshadow said...
    What makes sense now?

    Coming back to this after time away hosting family:

    The places mentioned in your DMV Quest post, if I am reading it right, showed considerable familiarity with that area, even for someone who attended school there.

    But, is the Lighthouse a restaurant or an actual lighthouse?

    If the latter, then I'll know without you naming it, if that's too much information.
    michele said...
    I'm ok with mentioning that I go to the North End beach. The Lighthouse is the Italian Ice place right next to the Windmill.

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007