Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Book Meme

I was tagged by Katy for this book meme, so here goes:

  1. One book that changed your life: Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul. This book changed my life before I actually read it :-) my husband read it and explained to me the doctrine of election and my life was never the same after that. I did eventually read it.
  2. One book that you've read more than once: Text Under Negotiation by Walter Brueggemann and the only reason I read it twice was because I didn't understand it the first time.
  3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Bible, it's the only book you could read over and over again and not be bored.
  4. One book that made you laugh: All of the Douglas Adams books.
  5. One book that made you cry: Comeback by Claire and Mia Fontaine made me cry.
  6. One book that you wish had been written: Now, why would I give my ideas away :-)
  7. One book you wish had never been written: The Church Dogmatics by Karl Barth
  8. One book that you are currently reading: The Return of the King by Dr. Vern Poythress
  9. One book you've been meaning to read: God and Promise by Michael Horton
Susan, Moonshadow, and Carrie, you could do this one couldn't you?

6 Comments:

  1. Carrie said...
    Yikes! I'll try to get to this Michele. J

    ust a little busy and suffering from a similar brain fog as you decribed. ;)
    Katy Sammons said...
    I should have known that you would include a book that cannot be purchased on Amazon! LOL

    I knew your post would be informative. I'm interested in the covenant book as I am getting ready to begin leading a study on the patriarchs. I have "Christ of the Covenants" by O. Palmer Robertson. Have you read it?
    michele said...
    Yes, I have and I thought it was great. Very well written and an interesting perspective even though I believe in the covenant of works.
    Pamela said...
    I got ?tagged with this, too.
    When I saw yours tonight, I realized I'd skipped the desert Island book, so I went back and added it.
    You are so efficient with your computer work... and even with a tag. Your answers seem definitive. (and reflective of the studying that you are doing.)

    I'd like to look in your refridgerator, to see if it's as organized as you
    Ha HA. (:
    Happy0303 said...
    I haven't read any of these books! I may have to add some of them to my list of "must reads".
    Moonshadow said...
    Oh, gee, I'm late, I'm late for a very important date.

    Thank you for tagging me.

    When I saw your recent post, I was going to just do this on my own but first I checked out all of the links.

    It's nice to know that I've been tagged ... and not around my big toe!

    One book that changed your life: Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis, as my testimony explains.

    One book that you've read more than once: The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton.

    One book you'd want on a desert island: I won't quote Chesterton from Orthodoxy - "A Practical Guide to Shipbuilding" ...instead, The Bible. And, if the Bible is excluded as Carrie says, then The Imitation of Christ, attr. to Thomas a Kempis.

    One book that made you laugh: yeah Douglas Adams trilogy, all five of them, amen, michele, amen!

    One book that made you cry: Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce. Just kidding. The Adventures of Huck Finn, chapter 31, "You Can't Pray a Lie":

    I was a-trembling, because I'd got to decide, forever, betwixt two things, and I knowed it. I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath, and then says to myself: "All right, then I'll go to hell" - and tore it up.

    (In deciding to help the runaway slave Jim escape to freedom instead of returning him to his owner.)

    One book that you wish had been written: A Shopper's Guide to Route 9 Merchants.

    One book you wish had never been written: Boettner's Roman Catholicism - just bad timing. For fairness, anything and everything by Scott Hahn, ok? I have great sympathy for Susan on her answer to this one.

    One book that you are currently reading: I can't tell you especially because I am agreeing with it way, way too much.

    One book you've been meaning to read: The Christian Tradition volumes by Jaroslav Pelikan

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007