Saturday, June 10, 2006

Update on Steel Cut Oats

OK, steel cut oats have to be cooked a very long time to be enjoyed, like an hour! I boiled the water, dumped a cup of oat pellets in and then turned it down to low. After the water started to cook away, I put in milk and maple syrup and waited another 1/2 an hour. Finally they looked done and they were still a little chewy. Steel cut oats are nothing like the instant 1-minute oats :-). They are very, very filling, which is a good thing when you are attempting to diet.

6 Comments:

  1. Karmyn R said...
    I've never had to cook my steel cut oats that long before - usually about 15 minutes does it...they arn't as mushy as regular oatmeal - I love them with a handful of blueberries and milk!!
    Kim from Hiraeth said...
    So, did you like them?
    michele said...
    Yes, they are much better once you've cooked them to death!
    ~Jennifer said...
    Hey, I put my steel cut oats in the crockpot and cook them overnight. Then I have a delicious hearty breakfast ready for me in the morning. 1 cup oats, 4.5 cups water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tbs. of butter on low overnight. Yum!
    Malissa said...
    an easy way to eat them I found.

    Stir them into vanilla non fat yogurt and put in the fridge in a covered dish overnight.

    I added a teaspoon of all fruit jam too.

    yummy!
    michele said...
    I would assume after they have been cooked?

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007