Thursday, March 23, 2006

Good Morning!

For someone who didn't do so well on her test yesterday, I'm in a pretty good mood today! So, I thought I would say, "Good Morning." And hope that your day goes well.

BTW, you may have noticed that I put up a link to the Greek New Testament. If you want to know what each word means you can go to their website for the parsing and definitions. I was thinking about translating at least the verse displayed on my blog (if time permits). If I do I'll post my translation.

Here are some links to learning Greek on your own:

Teknia Software
Resources for Learning New Testament Greek
Little Greek
Learning New Testament Greek (The Greek New Testament Gateway)

I recommend getting Machen's New Testament Greek for Beginners, 2nd ed. It is the standard text at Westminster. I found it to be much easier to use than Mounce. And when I was getting that link, I found out that the Westminster bookstore has a CD of the Greek pronunciations of the vocabulary words in Machen's book. Where was this CD when I took Greek?! I really could have used it because my brain doesn't work quick enough to pronounce the words properly. I think I'll get it to practice my Greek, for future classes.

6 Comments:

  1. Susan said...
    Good Morning!! to you too
    or I should say good afternoon.

    If it makes you feel any better, I had a really hard test on Friday. This was the first test I had in Poli Sci, on it he had "describe briefly..." questions!!
    Talk about your mind going blank!
    Either you know it or you don't!

    Praise God though, He gave me good recall, but I don't know what I got on it yet. And he's not posting the grades, I have to wait until Monday. Bummer
    michele said...
    Yeah, my professor said he would have the grades back by Wednesday (I'll believe it when I see it :-)
    Moonshadow said...
    I liked the Wenham set from Cambridge - the textbook, answer key and CD of pronounced vocabulary - now in its third edition (I have the second edition):

    http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/searchResult.asp?criteria=wenham+greek&Search=Search

    but I couldn't interest my teacher, Danny Jackson, in the set.

    I think he wanted to keep materials affordable.

    Thanks for your recommendations.
    michele said...
    You're welcome
    Moonshadow said...
    Would you characterize koine Greek as a pidgin language?

    I never heard that before, but Garry Wills calls the koine Greek of the New Testament a pidgin language on the first page of his What Jesus Meant book that I'm reading.

    It was my impression that pidgins were spoken, not written languages. And my husband's question to Wills's assertion was "Well, which are the contributive languages?" And, of course, I didn't know.

    One web site suggested that three languages are needed to form a pidgin, one being dominant. OK, in this case, the Attic dialect, sure. But then what?

    Unless you happen to know, off-hand, it's not really important to me. I'm just curious what you think.
    michele said...
    Actually I think that it might be considered that though I don't recall it being called that. It was the language of the people, they used it for business transaction and became the laguna franca.

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007