Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dear Spammers

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm stupid or greedy. I understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch and that every offer has strings attached. I don't want free electronics, I know that I haven't won the lottery, and I am not stupid enough to fall for a sob story that someone was left a large sum of cash and that you will give me part of the take if I would only deposit a check in my bank. Word does spread of your scams, so you might as well not bother. I also don't want you selling your product in the comment section of my blog.

Matthew 10:16 "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."

Updated to add: OK, there are free lunches (see Teresa's comment) but you have to go to a church to get it. Does that constitute an attached string?

Another update: Hey Laura, you got spam, too! The same guy that left it here, left it in your comments section as well. Spam reminds me of graffiti or bird droppings, very unattractive. You see it and you go, "Yech, spam."

9 Comments:

  1. Moonshadow said...
    I had a free lunch today at a Presbyterian church in Allentown. It was delicious. I commented, "Presbyterians are the best cooks." So, get those recipes going on your group blog! :-)
    michele said...
    OK, I stand corrected! The only free lunch you can get is in some churches. (Our church occasionaly charges.)
    Moonshadow said...
    I felt like a freeloader, believe me, because I hadn't any intention of staying for lunch. I'll probably get the chance to bring something another time.
    michele said...
    See, how free is that? Strings! (guilt)
    Laura T said...
    I'm really gullible. I thought he was a blogger and enjoyed reading my blog... Did you delete his comment from your blog?
    Moonshadow said...
    Strings, guilt - that's just me, my own hangups - they certainly didn't lay that on me, of course. I was in awe at how delighted the women were in washing the dishes after lunch! Oy.

    And I got another free lunch today after a study at a church in Plainsboro (yes, you know which church I'm talking about)! I must look poor ... because I don't look starving!
    michele said...
    Laura, yes I did and I even did the permanent delete! Sorry to burst your bubble :-(
    Mark Traphagen said...
    Sorry, Michelle, but the spammers don't actually read your blog. Those things are sent out by impersonal computer programs which don't have souls and therefore can't respond to your biblically-based pleas ;-)

    Blogger has some kind of anti-spam software for your comments. Many of my friends who use blogger use it. It makes you enter a random set of letters and numbers from a graphic before your comment is accepted, something a computer program can't do.
    michele said...
    Actually I'm getting spam that is meant for Christians, how would the spam bot know this was a Christian blog? Do they scan the blogs for content?

    And I've been avoiding the comment verification add-on because they can be frustrating to use (I know from experience :-). Though, if this keeps up, I'm going to have to use it.

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007