Thursday, February 09, 2006

It's Impossible To Do 25

Since my recent run-in with the law, I have been making sure to check the speed limit of whatever road I'm on and then do it. But it is absolutely impossible to do 25. Not only does my car refuse to do anything less then 30 mph, but I have to contend with tailgaters since no one does the speed limit and they even get mad at you for doing it.

I guess it has its benefits though, you can actually see the scenery. Driving 25 down one of the many residential streets I have to travel in the morning:

"So, now that we are driving so slowly we have time to look around. Look, they have lions on their steps. And look there's a valentine flag."

A few minutes later, "This is soooo slow! Oh look, the grass is growing."

Since I knew I would be doing the speed limit this morning I left early and since I wasn't rushing, the other drivers were not bothering me. I ignored everyone, even the tailgaters. So if you prayed for me after reading this, then thanks a lot!

After I wrote the above I read this in Calvin's Institutes:

"Some, like thieves and robbers, desire to overturn all law and right, to break all legal restraints, to let their lust alone masquerade as law. Others think unjust what some have sanctioned as just (an even commoner fault), and contend that what some have forbidden is praiseworthy. Such persons hate laws not because they fight against manifest reason. What they approve of in their understanding they hate on account of their lust."
Very convicting! But I always knew that I was a rebel at heart.

5 Comments:

  1. Moonshadow said...
    Doing 25 is impossible, but your expressed astonishment at this cannot mean that today is your first foray into trying to observe the posted limits in residential neighborhoods.

    In any case, welcome to my world: tailgaters and burning out the cruise control at dangerously low speeds.

    Like any overachiever, as soon as I learned of Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Development in junior high school, I wanted to be a "6". Until, that is, I began to suspect that such a lifestyle would not be fun - too Teresa of Calcutta-like in orientation.

    Most people think that they operate around stage 4 and that's good enough for them. No reason to get crazy and dissolve into altruism. But, in reality, most of us clutter up the bottom of the scale and only flirt with obligations to duty. In fact, outside of military service, few people even think about their civic - or religious - duties. We all want "better" motivations than "I must" - like the (fictional) phony faith healer, Jonas Nightengale, before his spiritual awakening: "Gotta do? No, kid, I focus on what I wanna do. It's a tough policy but it works for me.”

    But, as you have said, we usually haven't insight into someone's motivations and, while the actions of a stage 2 and a stage 4 may be practically indistinguishable, they are morally worlds apart and the stage 4 response is to be preferred … but a stage 2 person cannot appreciate that. In fact, he threw a Snapple bottle through my rear window once … because I didn’t make my left turn quick enough.
    michele said...
    Of course not! But it was the first time I blogged about it.

    I agree that in our society today we have lost our ability to think of what is best for the society in general. We have lost our corporate identity. Most of us drive in a very selfish manner -- only caring about getting to our appointment and no caring that are actions affect the other drivers.

    I am concerned by your statement that someone threw a bottle through your window, I hope that it was an old boyfriend.
    Moonshadow said...
    If you really knew me, you would know that I have never had any old boyfriends.

    It's a long story but I ticked off another driver and he followed me into the parking lot and I stared him down before entering the store and when I came out, I saw that he had thrown a Snapple bottle through my rear window.

    I shouldn't keep track of these wrongs - this happened four years ago - I should ask God to help me forget them just as He helped me forgive him.

    But, you know, it's a balancing act around here to observe the law without incurring someone else's road rage.

    Just watch out.
    michele said...
    Oh I am so glad it wasn't someone you knew! I had all kinds of thougts going through my mind. I once was involved with someone who was abusive but thank the Lord, He saved me from that relationship. I am glad that wasn't the case with you.

    Road rage is a big problem in the US. We all need to keep calm -- leaving early and doing the speed limit has helped me, maybe we should all try that. It's funny I just saw this tonight. See where anger gets us.
    Moonshadow said...
    I am very sorry to hear that about your past.

    Yeah, I don't know whether it's a dose of satisfying self-righteousness or geniune peace of mind, but observing the speed limit since adding one, two, three children in my car has really had a calming effect on me, not just driving but in living.

    It's probably self-righteousness. Bummer.

Post a Comment



Design | Elque 2007